Thursday, October 31, 2013

A Social Media Story

It's Day 31 of the 31 day blog challenge and I've faithfully participated all 31 days! YAY! Maybe you haven't noticed, but, this is quite a personal accomplishment.

The other day, I came across an article about the "Millionaire Visa" and I thought it was interesting. Apparently, wealthy people from foreign countries can pay for an entry visa into the United States. The cost is $500,000 and the condition is that they create 10 full-time jobs. I'm actually writing more about it on my business blog since I work with affluent clients.

When I sent out the tweet, it was pretty matter-of-fact, but, I got a nice response. A few of the people who follow me thought it was interesting and said they wanted to know more.

This, my friends, is the power of social media. A lot of people don't understand or appreciate social media applications like Twitter or Facebook, but, this occurrence is part of why you should be participating there, if you aren't already. People do actually read what you write and you can get fans/clients based on the things you talk about.

It's not all about selling, so if that's what you have in mind, let's just forget that part. I've made new friends/fans by talking about some of my favorite TV shows, like Shark Tank, which I live tweet every Friday (when it's not a repeat). The other day, I gained new followers because I was tweeting about House Hunters, a show on HGTV that I'd never really watched (or tweet about) before.

It doesn't matter what you're interested in, but when you start a conversation on social media, you are inviting other people to become part of that conversation (good or bad) and it shares your message with the world. Remember, people do business with people, not nameless/faceless businesses. As a matter of fact, my very first client came from Twitter.

So, that's all I wanted to tell you today and I wanted to keep it short because it is Halloween. If you have some good social media stories, I'd love to hear from you in the comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment