Thursday, October 10, 2013

Are you practicing the "3 Ups?"

I recently watched Oz The Great and Powerful and it's a pretty good movie. 

James Franco's character, Oz, was talking to Finley, his new flying monkey companion and he said that in order to be a successful assistant you need to remember the 3 ups:
  • Show Up
  • Keep Up
  • Shut Up
I thought this was a brilliant summary of business (and life), especially as it applies to what I do.

I'm a Personal Concierge. I work with affluent clients and my top priority is to protect the principal(s) that I'm supporting. I need to show up, not just on time, but early. I need to keep up because most of my clients are movers and shakers. I definitely need to shut up - confidentiality is my top priority.

But these aren't just the rules for what me. They apply to you, too. It's a summary of what all customers expect! 

They want you to show up for what they need, keep up with their requests and shut up when it's not necessary. My dad used to say all the time, "You have 2 ears and 1 mouth, so you can listen more than you talk."

I have an extensive background in customer service and that "shut up" part is something that I mastered during that time. People want to vent and then they want to work towards a solution.

I think that if you can master the 3 Ups for your business, you will do extremely well and I also think that it's something that the best business people, like Jeff Bezos, understand.

I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments section.


No comments:

Post a Comment