Thursday, December 12, 2013

I don't want to meetup

I decided that I wanted to start getting out more to expand my personal and professional networks, so I went to Meetup.com.

Although I am not very interested in yet another social network, I think there is some usefulness to be found with the site.

First, I searched for groups that are active and have had meetup events that have actually happened in the last month or so, as well as have events currently scheduled to take place in the next month or so.

There are tons of groups on the site; however, the majority of them are pretty inactive (which is crazy because as an organizer, there's a fee associated with having a meetup group).

That's when I ran into a problem.

I began to notice that there was quite a bit of groups that included "Black" in the title. For example, Black Singles, Black Networking, Black Divas, etc.

I don't like segregation (and I'm definitely not partial to the word "Diva"). With a small exception. I can understand if it was something like Hispanic, Asian, or some other minority because those groups may include cultural, culinary, and language differences that would cause an "outsider" to feel left out.

Then, I started thinking that if there were groups that said White Singles, White Networking, etc. people would be all up in arms and alerting the news stations.

I think that part of what makes us better as people, in general is to interact with different people with different ideas. I also think that excluding people, overtly or covertly, because of race is just silly!

No comments:

Post a Comment