Sunday, February 2, 2014

Random Thought Sunday

It's Sunday, and I'm allowed to have random thoughts. I told you, I'm going to write about whatever inspires me...so, here goes.

Have you ever taken the time to observe - I mean REALLY observe a homeless couple? (Talk about random)

I take the train into downtown-ish area every day and there's always a lot of homeless people on or around the train. I made a conscious effort to not be one of those people who is always staring at their phone because you miss a lot of LIFE that way, so I prefer to stand by the window. I don't sit on the train, as a rule, because we do a LOT of sitting already in life and the train ride is never more than 15-20 minutes. I figure it's ok and good for me to stand for that duration.

So, I'm riding on the train and I look around at the people on the train and I look out the window and I look at people in their cars as we pass them by, they're normally on the phones while driving, and I look at the people at the various stops...and I'm rambling...but stay with me.

There's a church near my final stop that (I assume by the line each morning) does something along the lines of providing food for the homeless. I always look at that line of people and the people who are leaving and something struck me...which brings me to my point.

Homeless couples seem to be the most IN LOVE, happy people you'll ever come across. When I see homeless couples on the train or on the street...they just seem so content to be with each other, it's as if their circumstances don't hinder the love. They're often smiling at each other or holding hands or have their arms around each other. Something like that! Not a care in a world. In my mind, they seem to be singing Sonny and Cher, I got you babe!

Then I think about other couples that I may see on the train or walking and they seem to be a little less happy and content with each other.

They say that a large portion of divorces are brought on by fights over money. When you're homeless, that's not an issue. Even the homeless couples who have clear signs of a substance abuse problem...there's still a happiness factor to them that you rarely see with people in much financially happier situations.

I guess Notorious BIG was right - Mo Money, Mo Problems.

But, what if it didn't have to be that way? What if you had the power to choose to be happy in the situation you're in, with the person you're with WITHOUT all the extra drama? Oh, wait...you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment